Book: A Soft Place to Land (2021)
Author: Janae Marks
Genre: MG, Contemporary
Opening lines from the book …
I may only be twelve, but I’ve already fallen in love once—with music. With film scores, to be exact.
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BOOK…
1) I really enjoyed the main character, Joy. I loved her enthusiasm and her protective nature when it comes to her younger sister. And it was a fun touch to put in her love of music and her desire to be a film composer.
2) The most awesome thing about this book is that it has a building with a secret room! I mean, a real secret-nobody-knows-about-it room! How cool is that? I want to live in a building with a secret room!!! And I love the camaraderie between the kids (all joint “owners” of said room) in the apartment building.
3) You gotta love the dog Ziggy and her owner, Mae. I like how the dog walking fits into the plot and Joy’s goal of trying to make money for her piano lessons. And of course, it also fits in nicely with Joy’s friendship with Nora.
4) This book deals with the topic of when parents fight. (Spoiler: I felt for Joy over the news that her dad is moving out to get some space. 😦 But, even bigger Spoiler Alert: I like how the parents are working things out by the end of the book. End Spoiler.)
5) I like the mystery of the poem and notes on the wall. I like how Joy wants to help this person. (On a side note: I wasn’t too surprised to find out the identity of the person, but I know Joy wasn’t expecting it!)
I really enjoyed this book! I’d recommend it for anybody who wants a secret room. And that’s just about everybody, right?
Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Note: I’m posting this for Greg Pattridge’s Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday…
3 thoughts on “Review / A Soft Place to Land”
I haven’t read this one but your Likes has me adding it to my TBR list. The main character and that dog sound like gems. Thanks for featuring your review on MMGM.
I find this book intriguing. I like the main character! I am/was a musician and many forms of music, but I’ve always had a soft-spot for musical scores. Many times will buy the DVD’s of movies with beautiful music. And I love musicals and opera. Thanks for sharing.
I love the title of this book, and now I love the idea of it. I will be looking for it. Thanks for your review.