Book: Bad Kitty Goes on Vacation (2020)
Author: Nick Bruel
Genre: Lower MG, Graphic Novel
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Opening lines from the book …
Radio: It’s time for a vacation giveaway!
Uncle Murray (in the shower): A vacation giveaway?!
Radio: THAT’S RIGHT! A vacation giveaway!
Uncle Murray: I want a vacation! I NEED a vacation! I haven’t had a vacation in years!
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BOOK…
1) This is Uncle Murray’s story. He wins a trip to LOVE LOVE ANGEL KITTY WORLD (which is kind of like if Hello Kitty met Walt Disney World!) Anyhow, guess who really likes Love Love Angel Kitty? Who adores Love Love Angel Kitty? (Can you tell how much I like saying Love Love Angel Kitty?!) If you guessed Bad Kitty herself, then you’re a winner!
2) They initially try the airport. But there are problems. And issues. (As you can see from the cover art, they have to drive.)
3) And don’t think the problems stop when they get to Love Love Angel Kitty World. (Spoiler! Ironically, no cats are allowed in the theme park. But Uncle Murray and Kitty won’t let that stop them.)
4) And then there are the height requirements. Oh boy! That leads them to the only ride they can enjoy together … It’s a Small Wor— Well, let’s just say you’ll be singing a song over and over again. (Poor Uncle Murray!)
5) Yes, the book is funny. But the best BAD KITTY books have heart to them, and this one comes through in the end!
A fun book for BAD KITTY and Uncle Murray fans. If you haven’t read this series, I’d start with the first books. (Not all the books are my favorites, but I really like Bad Kitty Vs. Uncle Murray and Bad Kitty Meets the Baby.)
Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Note: I’m posting this for Greg Pattridge’s Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday…
5 thoughts on “Review / Bad Kitty Goes on Vacation”
Bad Kitty books are a favorite with my great grandkids — always a perfect gift book. The illustrations make them laugh and so do the stories. Don’t think I’ve shared this one with them.
I must confess I’ve never read a Bad Kitty book. This sounds like a good one to start with when I jump into the series. I’m ready for a good laugh. Happy MMGM!
Definitely sounds like a book that lower MG kids would enjoy. Thanks for featuring it.
The title grabs my attention. There are so many bad kitties out there. I haven’t read any of these. but I’ll try to check out one of your recommendations. Thanks for the post.
The Bad Kitty books are always popular!