Book: My Life Begins! (2022)
Author: Patricia MacLachlan
Genre: MG, Contemporary
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Opening lines from the book …
I am nine years old when my life begins. Before then I was the only child. The son of Maeve and Daniel Black.
WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BOOK…
1) The Trips! In the story, Jacob’s family has triplets and Jacob Black calls them “the Trips.” What he really wanted was a litter of puppies, but he got a litter of Trips instead.
2) Jacob has to do a report for school and he chooses to follow the development of the Trips. It’s cute to see his notes during the year.
3) Mimi arrives to give help to Mom and Dad. She’s French (Oui, oui!) and she’s a lovely addition to the family, bringing a great sense of fun to the story and encouragement to her “dear Jacob.”
4) I really liked Jacob’s ruminations on names and nicknames, especially as he tries to figure out what he really should be calling the Trips.
5) There’s a very sweet ending to this story, which I won’t spoil.
This book was a quick read for me. It’s definitely meant for the lower grades and even has pictures. This is one of the final books Patricia MacLachlan wrote (or published) before she passed away last year. Interesting the title she chose. She will be missed!
Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Note: I’m posting this for Greg Pattridge’s Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday…