I’ve decided to do two lists this year. My top ten favourite reads from this past year, plus the top ten book reviews I posted. You can click on the blue links to read my review from the year. (Please note: there are three books on this list that didn’t actually get reviews. But I had to include them since they deserve to be on the list.)
Which brings us to 20 Books for 2020!
My Favourite Books of 2020…
1) Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess by Shari Green // I think this is the book that surprised me the most. It’s gets the Number 1 position on my list!
2) Hope in the Mail by Wendelin Van Draanen // I don’t think I did a book review on this one, but I loved it! Number 2! I really need to do a book review. This one’s for writers.
3) The Well by Mildred D. Taylor // Very powerful book.
4) Treasures from the Attic by Mirjam Pressler // Another book that I need to write a review for. This is the story that surrounds Anne Frank’s story. Not necessarily for kids. I found this book fascinating.
5) I Love You, Michael Collins by Lauren Baratz-Logsted // Historical fiction set during the time of the Apollo 11 Moonlanding.
6) Fly Girls by Keith O’Brien // This one was written for adults. It’s a non-fiction book about the first women pilots, including, but not limited to Amelia Earhart. (I think Louise Thaden is my favourite!)
7) On the Horizon by Lois Lowry // Written in verse and set among the backdrop of World War II and the attack on Pearl Harbor.
8) Until Niagara Falls by Jennifer Maruno // Historical fiction set in Niagara Falls!
9) Wayside School Beneath the Cloud of Doom by Louis Sachar // I was glad to return to the classroom with Mrs. Jewls.
10) Ebb and Flow by Heather Smith // Another book that caught me by surprise. I really enjoyed this one.
Top Book Reviews of 2020…
1) Notorious by Gordon Korman // A story about two kids who are trying to solve a mystery surrounding a dog with a “notorious” reputation.
2) Sunny Rolls the Dice by Jennifer and Matthew Holm // Book Three in the graphic novel series about Sunny!
3) All of Me by Chris Baron // Very good book about body image; but also doing something about achieving a healthier weight.
4) The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages by Trenton Lee Stewart // I wasn’t sure this would be any good, but it’s a credit to the series!
5) The Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary // These books are still that good!
6) The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman // Wonderful book with a prince and pauper vibe to it.
7) It Ain’t So Awful, Falafel by Firoozeh Dumas // Historical fiction set during the Iran Hostage Crisis.
8) Chloe in India by Kate Darnton // American transplant learns about living in India.
9) Mananaland by Pam Munoz Ryan // Fairy tale like quality with a Spanish flair.
10) Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess by Shari Green // This book snuck onto this list, making it the only book that gets a double listing!
I made my Goodreads Reading Challenge!
I always set my Goodreads Goal for 100 books, and it was no different for 2020. However, there was a time when I didn’t think I’d make it due to the library being closed for the pandemic in the spring. But I did it. 101 books for 2020. (Note: I don’t count picture books.)
What was your favourite book from 2020? Your favourite blogpost? Feel free to share links from your own blog, or somebody else’s… Let me know in the comments!