Book: Stolen Magic
Author: Gail Carson Levine
Rating: 2.5 Stars
Basic plot: Elodie, her masteress the dragon, and Count Count Jonty Um are all on their way to Elodie’s home island of Lahnt. Suddenly, they discover that the Replica, a statue that magically keeps the volcano from erupting, has been stolen. Now it’s up to them to deduce, induce, and use common sense find the thief.
1) This is the second book in “A Tale of Two Castles” series. I really liked the first book, so it was nice to join Elodie and the Dragon again. And Count Jonty Um as well.
2) I liked the introduction of Master Robbie and the friendship between him and Elodie.
3) The Dragon is a delightful character.
WHAT’S NOT COOL…
1) The first book is based (very lightly) on the Puss in Boots fairy tale (which was a delight to discover while reading it). This book doesn’t seem to be based on anything. To my mind, this makes the story a little bit weak. I think Levine is usually strongest in weaving those classic tales into her own stories… which is why “Ella Enchanted”, “Fairest”, and “A Tale of Two Castles” are top-notch reads. This one seems to be missing that little magic. (Maybe it was stolen?? Ouch!)
2) The three characters are split up for most of the story. I love the interplay between the three main characters, which obviously can’t happen if they are all in different locations.
3) I wanted to know who stole the Replica, but when I did find out the truth, I didn’t really feel relieved or satisfied. In fact, I really hate to say it, but I found I didn’t really care that much.
My rating is 2.5 Stars (out of 5) – This book was okay. It was SO close to getting 3 Stars, but the more I thought about it, I realized that it’s just not Levine’s best writing. It’s not exactly a bad book either, it’s just… okay. It was nice to revisit the same characters from “A Tale of Two Castles”.