Book: The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
Author: Wendelin Van Draanen
Rating: 4 Stars
Basic plot: Lincoln Jones is the “new kid” and that makes him a bit of a loner and outcast at school. What makes it worse is that he spends his after-school hours at an old folks home. He tries to hide this from his peers, but one particular girl won’t leave him alone before she finds out his secret life.
1) I like the kid’s voice. He’s interesting. I felt I’ve met him. I also was drawn to his relationship with his mom.
2) I like books that bring the generations together… Where young kids get to know “old people” in a real way. It’s nice to see Lincoln’s viewpoint change on “oldies”.
3) The ending was cool (**SLIGHT SPOILER HERE) with how it ended where it began. END SPOILER
4) **SPOILER: Lincoln and his mom are hiding from an abusive boyfriend and home life. While this is a heavy topic, I felt it was dealt with in a real, yet age-appropriate way. It didn’t gloss over such situations, but it doesn’t dwell on them either. END SPOILER
WHAT’S NOT COOL…
1) There’s very little I did not like. The pickiest thing I can say is that one character, Isaac, suddenly appears at the Old Folks Home and I didn’t remember who he was. I had to go back in the book and find how I’m supposed to know why he matters. But that wasn’t a huge problem.
Yes! My rating is 4 Stars (out of 5) – I’d definitely recommend it!